Sunday, December 29, 2013

CentOS SSHFS Howto

I have a need to remotely mount a file system over the Internet. I'd like to do so without doing a VPN tunnel and all the encryption myself. So, I gave sshfs a shot and turn's out, it's super easy. Here's how on CentOS:
# Install EPEL
rpm -Uvh http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/6/i386/epel-release-6-8.noarch.rpm

# Install sshfs
yum -y install sshfs fuse

# Load FUSE Kernel Module
modprobe fuse

# Mount remote file system.
mkdir /mnt/sshfs/
sshfs root@my.server.com:/export/opt/ /mnt/sshfs/

Now if you want to get fancy, you can push your ssh key and auto mount on boot, like this:
# Push identity
ssh-copy-id user@my.server.com

# Edit /etc/fstab and add:
root@my.server.com:/export/opt/ /mnt/sshfs fuse.sshfs defaults,noauto,user 0 0

# Mount it up
mount /mnt/sshfs/

No comments:

Post a Comment